Ok I’m probably the last living human without a usb drive, but that was until last week. 😀
I got “this”:http://www.sandisk.com/retail/cruzer-mini.asp 256 MB baby at Sim Lim for $109 (singapore dollar, that is), which is not too bad a deal. But I wasn’t too sure why I got it in the first plac. It was just another one of those impulsive buys. :S
So to justify that hundred quid, this is what I do with it:
* put in “Firefox”:http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ 0.9 standalone (one that works from a folder without installing anything), with all the plug-ins I use. I can go use other people’s com without installing firefox now. (matter of fact, I’m doing that right this moment, on my uncle’s laptop.)
* put in a few more standalone apps, “slowview”:http://www.slowview.at/ , “VLC”:http://www.videolan.org/vlc/, etc.
* Make it “bootable”:http://ucsu.colorado.edu/~shaher/Bootable_USB.html , put some virus “scanner”:http://www.bitdefender.com & “definition”:http://www.bitdefender.com/bd/site/downloads.php?menu_id=19 files on it, plus latest “stinger”:http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/ .
* Install “wikiserver”:http://www.tinyted.net/eddie/wiki/ , this thing comes with its own little server so I can use it anywhere, pretty cool. (had to run it on port 81 though, it was clashing with my “Apache”:http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd/ ) It doesn’t do unicode, not fatal but could have been better.
* Put a few “e-book”:http://www.gutenberg.net/ I’m reading on it, and “µBook”:http://www.gowerpoint.com/ to read them nicely on screen.
* Oh, and it’s a portable storage too 😛
So in the end, it’s worth it, and usb 2.0 makes it work. I am running firefox off the thing without a hitch. 🙂
Read “how flash memory works”:http://computer.howstuffworks.com/flash-memory.htm on “howstuffworks”:http://www.howstuffworks.com